Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Face in the Shadow Part 2 Chapter 28

Twenty-eight

Rachel placed the bill in the envelope, sealed it and placed it in the basket with the other outgoing mail. Then she called Shannon.
“What’s up hon?” Shannon said without greeting.
“Is there something wrong with me?” Rachel tried to sound funny but it came out pathetic.
“What is it now?”
“Men.”
Shannon laughed. “I know there are so many of them in your life. Most women would be thrilled
with your problem.”
“They would not. It is one thing to have a man in your life. It is quite another to have two different men in your life when you’re not sure if either is right for you at all.”
“Date didn’t go so well?”
“Not really.”
“What happened?”
“He invited me to church.”
“Rachel, it was bound to happen.”
“I know but…”
“Do you like him?”
She groaned and plopped down on the couch. “I don’t know. I think so.”
“Well do you or don’t you?”
“Yes. I really like him.”
“Then go with him to church. You go with your mom and she’s not a good kisser.” Shannon laughed.
“I can’t believe you’re telling me this after-.”
“After Nate?”
“Well…yes.”
“Curtis isn’t Nate.”
“Yes, but-.”
“No, but. Church is nothing but a social group. There’s a support structure with people who have a common interest.”
“But we don’t agree with that.” Shannon had never wavered in all the time Rachel had known her. She gripped the phone tight. “Why would you tell me to go?”
“My thoughts. Do what feels good. If right now it feels good to date Curtis then church is part of the deal. If you two don’t work out then you do things with your new lover. It is no different than going to football games with a sportsman.”
“But Nate didn’t leave me for football.” Rachel screamed in the phone. “He left me for church.”
“He left you for one of those freaky commune things Rachel. That is why I told you to stay away from religious people. People get fanatical about things. But you kept this Curtis thing going.”
“I can’t help it. He makes me happy.”
“Well go with it. If he makes you happy do what you gotta do to stay with him. If that means go to church then go every once in a while. As long as you don’t start to buy in to their con you’ll be fine.”
“But-.”
“Go once and see what he’s like there. Make an appearance if you really like him. It’s not like you’re signing up for church or anything.”
How could Shannon be the one who suggested she do this? “But what if he wants me to start going all the time?”
“I guess you’ll have to make that decision then but if he only asked you to come once then go for it.”
They talked for a bit longer then Rachel hung up the phone and put her feet up on the coffee table. She wanted to do this and still save face. Curtis couldn’t think that he’d won anything.

You are reading A Face in the Shadow by Tiffany Colter.
Tiffany is a writer, speaker and writing career coach. She is a frequent contributor to print and online publications in addition to her regular marketing blog at http://www.writingcareercoach.com/
Get each new chapter delivered to you by signing up for the Tiffany Colter Fiction Blog using the link on the right.
This story is copyright Tiffany Colter. 2007. It may not be copied, distributed, sold or included in any larger work without the expressed written permission of Tiffany Colter.
Bloggers may comment on or link to this blog from their own blog. To link directly to this posting click the title, then copy the address in the browser.